Deadline: October 30, 2019
Please help spread the word that applications for the ACASA (Arts Council of the African Studies Association) Awards for Curatorial Excellence are due October 30.
Criteria for consideration for this award include exhibitions that:
- Generate new scholarship across the humanities
- Open new perspectives on the field
- Collaborate with and/or contribute to local or stakeholder communities
- Demonstrate innovative approaches to exhibition design and presentation
- Demonstrate innovative uses of technology
Exhibitions related to permanent collections, loan shoes, or commissioned works are all welcome. Application materials to submit:
- Cover page indicating title of exhibition, dates, venue(s), curator(s) names
- Synopsis of exhibition (one-page)
- Sample publication where applicable. This can include PDFs of take-away brochures, exhibition preview article or other means of documentation and distribution of project. If no publication was possible, please submit a bibliography of 5 key sources germane to the show’s thesis or points of departure.
- Sample didactics (labels or other interpretive materials that demonstrate the exhibition's intellectual content and curatorial vision. Not to exceed 3-pages)
- Visual documentation: up to 5 still digital images, at least one of which must show installation, context or performance space; up to 2 videos or links, not to exceed 3 minutes in length to document performance or time-based projects.
- link to or documentation of innovative uses of technology or interactive engagement
- Description of institution, organization or entity originating the exhibition, including mission, history, collection (if applicable), size, staff, budget, audience and other information pertinent to understanding the context in which the exhibition emerged.
- Documentation of community response. Up to three (3) examples that demonstrate various perspectives. These might include emails, sample entries from audience response books, or social media postings and not just critical reviews.
Submissions should be submitted by October 30th to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All candidate must be current members of ACASA (but everyone should join anyway!)