The Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art is currently accepting resumes/applications for the position of Assistant Curator of Native American Art in our Curatorial department. This full-time, exempt position will work closely with the Curator of Contemporary Art and the Curator of Native American Art, History and Culture in the preparation and presentation of permanent and changing Native American exhibits, as well as the Eiteljorg Contemporary Art Fellowship Celebration.
Requirements and qualifications include an MA in art, anthropology, public history, museum studies or an MFA. It is imperative that the ideal candidate have a knowledge and appreciation of Native North American art including contemporary, traditional and historic materials and a working knowledge of Native American history and culture, and art history.
Other administrative duties will include research, exhibit scripting, contracting, accounting and record keeping which would require a meticulous attention to detail, excellent writing, verbal and editing skills. A sound knowledge of TMS (The Museum System) database would be a plus.
All resumes, references, and salary expectations should be sent to:
Fax: (317) 275-1430
Mail: Eiteljorg Museum, HR Manager
500 W Washington St
Indianapolis, IN 46204
JOB TITLE: Assistant Curator of Native American Art
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Curator of Contemporary Art, Curator of Native American Art,History and Culture
EMPLOYEES SUPERVISED: 0
- Art, history, museum studies MA or MFA one year experience in a museum, gallery or educational setting, and knowledge of Native North American art including contemporary to traditional and historic materials. Working knowledge of Native American history and culture, and art history
- Meticulous administration skills, as well as computer, interpersonal and office skills
- Excellent writing, editing and research skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team contributing to a positive working environment and cooperative atmosphere with co-workers
- Works in collaboration with the curator of contemporary art and curator of Native American art, history and culture with the preparation and presentation of exhibitions and department management, including; research, label and text writing and administrative duties such as contracting, accounting and record keeping.
- Presents and manages permanent and changing exhibitions of traditional, historical and contemporary Native Art.
- Works within collections data base to update and add object and art information.
- Works with the curator of contemporary art on the selection of Eiteljorg Fellows, catalog editing and manages the Eiteljorg Contemporary Art Fellowship Celebration.
- Works with the curator of Native Art, History and Culture in selection and verification artists, artists judging and works to be considered for purchase prize award for yearly Indian Market.
- Works to strategically develop contemporary and Native American collections by serving as a member of the museum’s acquisitions committee, participating in board based collections council activities, and contributing to the maintenance and development of collecting strategies.
- Provides assistance in coordinating and development of the Native American Advisory Council.